Friday, November 1, 2013

Stockholm Part II: Auto-motion

I used to think escalators, subways, elevators, and moving sidewalks to be enthralling. Really any form of movement in which each beginning and end is fixed, the transit time rarely (if ever) alters, and I am actively inactive (inactively active?). I remember a day spent with my mom, aunt, and cousin at a mall when I was maybe 10 or 11. My cousin and I rode the single one-story escalator maybe a hundred times that day, partly because we both despised shopping, but also because I knew that the smooth inclining motion was masking the complicated mechanisms under my feet. That's pretty cool.

And then I became an adolescent, naturally interested almost exclusively in the opposite sex.

Stockholm has an excellent metro system, probably due to its relatively large land area and inaccessibility by car coupled with frequently interspersed bodies of water. It's just more efficient in the long run to construct dark, deep, and dank mass transit tunnels than to build hundreds of pedestrian and motorist friendly bridges that are appealing to the eye and don't interfere with water traffic. I decided to partake in the metro system and bought a 72-hour pass, allowing for fast exploration of a new city.

Don't get me wrong, I still find the engineering behind successfully efficient metro systems to be a thing of beauty. I just wish I didn't have to ride so many damn escalators:
Going up. Can't see the end.
Inclined 300 meter long moving sidewalk?
Taken moments before this man was dragged to his death deep into the plethora of cogs. Stick to Velcro kids.
I understand I could make this all go more quickly if I walked, but that would ruin one of the reasons I enjoyed this type of transit in the first place.

Seems an odd thing to complain about when it conveniently transports me to outskirts of the city and vistas like this:
Couldn't have painted it better myself.
Or this:
I mean come on..
Or especially this:
Ferry ride at night, which now begins at 3 pm thanks to daylight savings.
Okay, based on this photo-evidence, I redact my earlier frustrations. Hurray for public transit!

Skål!

Bonus:
This bush-shaped tree looked like it was on fire:
I guess I should go free some Hebrews or something now?
Obligatory horse picture:
This is a horse.

4 comments: