Monday, November 11, 2013

Scandinavian Sunsets

As the sun descends toward the horizon, ushering in the black of night, its rays are refracted more and more toward the red end of the visible spectrum. Anyone who has watched a sunset closely can see the progression through all visible colors, which happens multiple times and increases in frequency as dusk approaches. I never really cared for my optics class, but was always happy I learned the basics of light physics so that I could appreciate sunsets even more than I already did. That isn't to say, of course, that one needs to know anything about the bending of light to really enjoy a good sunset.
Looking through my camera the other day, I realized that I have a ton of unpublished photos of sunsets, all taken in the last three months in Sweden.

First, in Stockholm, outside a metro station:
If there was a Swedish equivalent of the word 'Murica I would type it here.
And this guy:
In another life I could see myself walking around the islands of Stockholm fishing with this view
Sunsets in Scandinavia, particularly this time of year, can last much longer than at lower latitudes. With short days come much less daylight. The sun hovers precariously on the southern horizon for 6 hours, generating a burning sky with oranges, purples, yellows, and reds of varying hues for the last 60 minutes of the day. It makes for some pretty damn spectacular and gasp-worthy sights.
Riding across the bridge to the airport.
One of those situations where you're unsure if on the other side of those trees the sun is setting or if it's just a giant tire fire.
The next three were taken at the same spot on the same night, going from SW to NW:
If I didn't have the river bank in this photo and I flipped it upside down, would you know?
I mean, wow.
The city, from afar, braces itself for the apocalypse.
Skål!


2 comments: